Arc/Morris is looking for an enthusiastic, fun and detail-oriented Recreation Assistant. The Recreation Assistant is responsible for supervising participants in the recreation McARP program during various outings and activities in the community. The Recreation Assistant should be comfortable working with people with I/DD and assists the consumers to actively participate in events, provides transportation, administers medication if applicable, and provides any other assistance or support as needed. We need the Recreation Assistant to be organized and possess a broad range of skills. They should also be comfortable working in a variety of settings, as they may be asked to participate in or oversee activities.
- Plan outdoor/indoor activities or sports for groups of consumers
- Assist in the coordination, planning, and purchasing needed for any scheduled activity.
- Lead recreational and educational activities (such caving or crafting)
- Attend trainings that will increase general and related knowledge of developmental disabilities.
- Make sure all safety rules are followed
- Supervise and engage participants in a variety of recreational and social events.
- Recreation activities calendar management
- Provide input to the Supervisor/Recreation Program in planning community activities.
- Proven experience as Recreational Aide or similar role working with children or Developmental Disability community.
- Familiarity with various indoor and outdoor activities.
- Patient and reliable.
- Organizational and communication skills.
- A love for people with disabilities.
- Energetic and positive personality.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job.
- Must work with minimal supervision.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid Driver's License
- First aid- and CPR-certified preferred
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8-hour shift
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
- Recreation: 1 year (Preferred)
Masking is required for those who: are not fully vaccinated, are not boosted when eligible, have been granted an exemption, choose not to disclose their vaccination status. Regardless of status, daily screening is required before each work day which includes answering questions and a temperature check. Social distancing is encouraged.